Thursday, January 22, 2009

Church Archives - Another update

Those who have been reading here long will know that I have been waiting for a package from the Church History Library and Archives (read here and here). Well yesterday it arrived. Well, actually it could have arrived two days ago since I frequently neglect my mailbox, but that is a whole other subject.

The package included the manuscripts (two on a CD and one on paper), some photocopies of pictures I already had (the copies included the back of the pictures too which is often every bit as interesting as the photo itself), a copy of the original research request filled out by Christine (thank you) and a bill. Yes, a bill. They don't do this stuff for free.

I know you are thinking "how much?" When I called the Archives price was never on my mind. I knew what I wanted and there was no way I was going to let cost get in my way. How expensive could it be after all? Over the last few weeks I have waited for it to arrive I have thought to my self the very same thing. And what did it come too? ... $8.45 A bargin by any definition of the word.

In the next few days I will comb over these documents and I hope to have some wonderful new things to share. But for now I will just say to the librarians and archivists who helped, Thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came across an article in the Journal of Mormon History that I haven't seen mentioned on your blog, "Backcountry Missionaries in the Post-Bellum South: Thomas Ephraim Harper's Experience" by Reid L. Harper. Thomas Harper was a missionary in the Southern States Mission from October 1884 to March, 1887. The paper introduces his diaries, which the author says have been heretofore unknown to LDS historians. For those not familiar with the article, it is in the Winter 2008 issue of the JMH, Vol. 34, No. 1.

I spent nearly two days at the Church Archives two summers ago. The librarians gave me invaluable help. I didn't find what I went looking for, but I did order three photos of my great-grandfather I had never before seen. The photos arrived on a CD with a bill for $8. Definitely a bargain.

Bruce said...

That's wonderful Susan. I haven't seen this article in any of the other reading I have done. Of course I still have much to read, but this will go on my short list.

Last night I was reading Arrington's Great Basin Kingdom (I know, I know. I am so behind the curve on this one). In it Arrington noted that at the beginning of his career the Church History office was unfriendly to scholars. Times have changed.