Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mormon History

I have always had an interst in Mormon history. My earliest recollections of that interest are of a book my father had describing Mormon villages from a sociology/land use view (the photo is from the web and is not of my father's copy. Dad do you still have it?). I remember reading randomly through pages picking up ideas, most of which I'm sure I didn't really understand. But I can clearly recall my fascination.
There is an analogy that fish, were they to become self aware, would probably discover water last. The idea is that they were so accustomed to its always being there, that they wouldn't even notice it. I wondered what else there was about Mormonism that we don't see because it is all around.
Up untill recently that interest was sporadic. I would visit historic sites and read some articles. Some of the family histories my brother collects and sends along had peices that were great. Even reading the Andrew Jackson biography last year was wonderful because the events were contemporary. But recently I rewatched the Frontline peice on Mormonism from last year, and I realized how much I still didn't know. So I have decided I need to brush up on some details. Not as a theologian, but as a historian. I'm starting with a bibliography suggested at the Mormon History Association. If anyone has suggestions feel free.




Judy Harper
There is a guy in our ward that loves church history. He asked me to search for and purchased some books written by Juanita Brooks. She's done several. You might find them interesting.
Wednesday February 20, 2008 - 08:56am (PST)

Mr Froggie
Yes, she was shunned, but not excommunicated, for the one she wrote on Mountain Meadows. Her work has been subsequently validated.
Wednesday February 20, 2008 - 01:32pm (CST)

Lady J
mormons do shunning?
Friday February 22, 2008 - 12:09am (PST)

Mr Froggie
Not formally. Ostracism may be the better word, but in essence, yes. You must keep in mind she lived in a rural, predominantly mormon, community in the 1950s!
Friday February 22, 2008 - 08:45am (CST)


No comments: