Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I can't escape, and I mean that in a good way

It seems I can't escape. And I mean that in a good way. In the last couple of weeks the south has been hard hit with weather. Rain and tornados, now flooding from the Mississippi, yet through it all I still find myself pulled toward Mormon history. Last weekend I took my daughter to Sipsi, Alabama to help with clearing trees and other Tornado damamge. As nightfall brought and end to the first day of work, I found myself in a circle of older men swapping stories about Robert Edge, B. H. Roberts and Cane Creek. We talked about the descendents of Abraham Church and the David Patton bigfoot tale.

It was a multistake event, and I met people from all over middle Tennessee. And the result? Well, the Nashville temple has closed down for a couple of weeks, and several of the temple workers have asked to be taken around to see the site associated with Cane Creek. So guess who was "volunteered" to be their story teller. No, not the former bishop who lives a few short miles from the site, and not the current bishop whose family was closely connected to the events. Me. The young kid who only started looking at this in the last 3 years.

Of course, I said yes. It will be fun. And I can put to rest some of the silly notions that have crept up around this event. Even if it is just a small group, at least when they go home they will have the right version to share with their friends.

2 comments:

Ardis said...

Hurray! Take notes, and report.

And best wishes for dealing with the ongoing weather extremes in your part of the world.

Bruce said...

Thank you. I plan on soliciting some help here in the next week and a half I have to prepare. So put your thinking cap on.