The sign is the second placed by the historical society, the first was placed in 1966 at a small pull-over spot along the main highway. There was even a picnic bench at the first spot. But according to one local resident it was knocked down and was missing for a long time. The Historical Commission records show the sign was replaced only once in May 1996. At the same time the sign was moved to the intersection of Cane Creek Road and Hwy 41; closer to the Conder farm but with no place to pull over and read it. The sign reads:
TENNESSEE'S MORMON MASSACRE
One-half mile west on August 10, 1884, at a farmhouse on the east fork of Cane Creek several Mormon missionaries and their followers were attacked by a mob of disguised citizens. Killed were two missionaries, Elders William S. Berry and John H. Gibbs, two of their local associates, Martin Conder and J. R. Hudson; and one of the mob. The fight was caused primarily because of local opposition to the practice of plural marriage by the Mormon Church.
Tennessee Historical Commission