Monday, September 6, 2010

You never know what you will find unless you ask

B. H. Roberts’ daughter, Georgia Roberts, served her mission in New York. While she was there she met Elder Ulner Morrow. Elder Morrow was from Tennessee, very near the spot of the Cane Creek Massacre.  Apparently knowing of her relation to B. H. Roberts, he invited sister Roberts to come visit. In 1951, Sister Roberts wrote about her visit, and a copy of the long account can be found at the Church History Library, but if you want to get a copy of it for yourself you will need to go to the BYU Library.

I have a paper copy, and I brought it to Church yesterday for a sister in our ward. Turns out that Ulner Morrow was her brother. She remembers the visit, but she was very young at the time and wasn’t asked to join them in their tour of the surrounding area. When I first met her I heard her say her maiden name was Morrow, I thought to myself “where have I heard that name?” In a rare lucid flash I knew, and asked if she was related to Ulner. The broad smile told me I was on to something.

So I brought a copy to Church yesterday and as I gave it to her, we talked some more about other visits she has made to the Conder cemetery to show missionaries. “You know I have a picture somewhere of Brother Horace Talley in front of a cabin with a dogtrot. I should dig it up and make a copy of it for you.” All the while I was thinking Oh! Bud Talley! The first baptism at Cane Creek in 65 years! That was probably the Talley cabin! I know what dogtrot is now! And yes! I would like copy of the photo! But what came out of my mouth was "I would really like that."

3 comments:

Ardis E. Parshall said...

I'll bet there was something about you -- maybe your own broad smile -- that told HER that her photo was more than polite interest.

Wonderful illustration of the value of talking about your interests and being willing to share, rather than holding everything close to the vest for fear that someone is going to beat you to the punch.

Ardis E. Parshall said...

... told HER that your interest in her photo was more ...

Bruce said...

Thanks Ardis. I try to spend my time just listening to what others have to say. People enjoying sharing what hey know more than they like listening to how much you know. But sometimes it is worth it to speak up and share what you have.